Saturday, February 20, 2010

Flatter-day Saturday with...

****** HAPPY SATURDAY!!!******

Today, I have the joy of bringing you one of the very talented Unity/Ippity Stamp Artists,

LISA HETRICK!!!
 
 
We all know and love her gorgeous stamp designs and now we get to know a little more about her, too!!!  Lisa, I wanted to thank you for taking the time for this interview and I loved getting to know you, and I am sure everyone else will feel the same way! So without further ado, LET ME INTRODUCE YOU LISA HETRICK!

Tell us a little about yourself.  {Family, location, background, job, kids, etc.}

My name is Lisa Hetrick, and I, like most, am completely addicted to stamping.
I live in Maryland with my “supa dupa supportive” husband of twelve years, my son and daughter. I’m a mother, wife, friend, believer and artist.

Stamping, scrapbooking, papercrafting, graphic design and illustration are what make me tick. I have to do something “artsy” everyday. It’s how I roll.

Like most moms, I wear many hats. I’m the creative director and owner of Lisa Hetrick Design (www.lisahetrickdesign.com, 7 years), I also teach classes at my local scrapbook store (PhotoScraps), and local community college. After 12 years working in the design field for advertising, healthcare and education, I stepped out to go freelance and work from my home studio. I’ve been a professional graphic designer/illustrator for 19 years. I love what I do and I’m thankful that I get to balance my profession with my family life.

How did you first get involved in stamping?

I started stamping and papercrafting as a young girl, making cards. I have dabbled in so many art forms, knitting, crocheting, needlework, quilting, etc. BUT, I’ve always come back to my first love paper and stamps. I really made stamping a part of my lifestyle when I started scrapbooking in 2001.  I love creating cards because it’s like creating a piece of canvas art every time. What fun. I can’t scrapbook without my stamps. They are the most versatile product in my stash. You may not be able to find the perfect embellishment for your scrapbook page…. but you can almost always create it with a stamp!

What is your stamping style?

I’d have to say layered with a somewhat modern collage feel. I often paper piece or go the other extreme and copic color every detail.  I LOVE techniques. So, whenever I can, I’m getting all the schtuff out and getting messy. Stamping simple seems to be a challenge for me. I can just never “leave” it alone, I just have to add one more thing.

Tell us about your creative process

When I’m stamping for me, the process always starts with the stamp/stamp set I want to play with. I buy a stamp/set based on what I see in my head as the possibilities. Then, I gather patterned paper and cardstock, usually what I feel like playing with. I’m not into being matchy matchy. I just gather supplies and start creating.  When I create for store classes or product samples, it always starts with the patterned paper then a quick sketch and then I work my way into a product. That process is more business-like and methodical.

What is your favorite {ippity} stamp set and why?

I love the entire Fall and Spring line that has been put together. There is a lot of versatility in there and I love that. If I had to pick one from each of the lines, I would say: Because of You from the Fall line because of the mix of sentiments, collage style background and easy to color/paper piece images. From the Spring line, I LOVE Sweet Thoughts of Spring mainly because I just love that bunny and chick and right away I saw in my head exactly how I am going to color, paper piece and create with it.

How often do you stamp?

Almost everyday. If I don’t have time to stamp, I’m at least looking at a mag or online gallery.

How long does it take you to make a project you are happy with?

No more than an hour. I’m a glue and go kind of girl. I usually can feel if something’s not working within the first 15 minutes. If it doesn’t feel right, I scrap it and move on.

What does your craft room look like? {messy, clean, etc.}

Ha! Well, I try to keep it neat and efficient since the studio is part of the house and my family dwells in it with me sometimes. Right NOW… organized chaos!  When I create/prep for classes, like right at this moment, it looks very much like a tornado went through.

What is your biggest paper crafting challenge?

Keeping it simple. Using up my stash. I’m a work in progress.


What song best describes you?

Funny question: STAND by REM. It’s about keeping your feet on the ground, but looking at life from all directions and keeping an open mind. LOVE that! Keep an open mind and it’s amazing how many cool things can come into your life.

If you were stranded on a desert island what are the three things you would bring?

My husband and two kiddos. It’s all I ever need!

What is your favorite quote?

“Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” This quote sits in front of me on my desk. It keeps me grounded in times of stress and reminds me to keep life in check.

What would I find in your refrigerator right now?

A lot of chicken, turkey and fish that needs to be put into freezer bags. It’s my least favorite thing to do and I’m hoping the hubs will do it when he gets home. Tee hee.

If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be?

I would LOVE to have the ability to snap my fingers and the laundry would be washed, dried and put away. Laundry is the bane of my existence.

If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be?

Woman runs with scissors…news at 11:00.

What would your dream vacation be?

A trek through Europe with my husband and kiddos. 

Have a FABULOUS Saturday!!!
Eva

4 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa it is wonderful getting to know you better!!Thanks so much for sharing with us a touch of your life outside of illustrating for Unity!! I just love your work and can't wait to meet you some day!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so much fun. You really gave us a fabulous peek into your world and I loved reading every word :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa you are amazing with all the hats you wear. And still have time to share all your creative and inspiring MOJO with us. It was so nice to get to know you I just love the song and quote you live by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LISA---you are AMAZING:) So awesome to get to know you! TFS!

    ReplyDelete