Thursday, February 18, 2010

That's How Thursday -Circle card tutorial

Hi everyone, it's Michelle here! I LOVE to make circle cards. They are unique, fun and have a certain "wow" factor. I get asked all the time, "how do you MAKE your circle cards". Well, today I will share with you how I do it!!

I make them using my Nestability dies from Spellbinders. I use my Cuttlebug to do all my die cutting and it works perfectly. To start, I cut the cardstock 8 1/2"x 4 1/2" and score in the middle:
Next, fold the cardstock and place your largest die with the top of the die just over the top of the fold. This is very important, as this will be the top fold of your card.Here is the picture from the angle that you cut. You need to remember that the "pointy" part of the die faces UP to your B Plate. You can see from the past impression on my C Plate, I have done this WRONG before. Man oh man I had trouble getting the die OFF the plate!Run it thru your machine and if you use thick cardstock, like PTI, run it back and forth just to make sure it cuts both layers. When you are done, it will look like this:Next, you can work on the inner layers of your card. For my card, I wanted the first layer to be white with a strip of embossed Kraft thru the middle. I layered them both at the same time, but you could just as easily do the white piece first and fiddle around to decide what you need next.
One tip I have is to tape the die down to the cardstock to prevent any moving. This is especially important when die cutting around an image already stamped. I use a small piece of tape, be sure to place the sticky tape to the OUTSIDE of your die-not touching the inside. That way it won't accidentally tear your cardstock. Here is a close up of my tape, you can tell that I use this tape over and over. I keep it taped to my area for quick access. Hey, it doesn't have to be pretty to work!Here is the finished card (it was my challenge card from a few weeks back). Well, I hope this was useful to you. If you have any questions, you can leave me a comment and I will respond with an edit to this post-for all to read.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

21 comments:

  1. oh thanks for this Michelle.. I wanted to try this and now I know how!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial Michelle...I haven't used Nestabilities! I like how you made it so easy and yet it's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Michelle!! That is a beautiful card!! Thanks so much for showing us how to do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your circle cards Michelle! TFS your tutorial... I really need to make these more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome, need to take those nesties out more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG love this Michelle. thks for sharing.. I am just discovering these wonderful things called Nesties.. I needed this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card is OMGosh! So cool. I just love that bow. Thanks for this fabulous tutorial. I never thought about using the dies to cute the other paper on the card. Duh ME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to make some of these! So adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheesh, I really do need to get these circle nesties!!!! They been on my wish list for so long, I think it's time to get them off there and into my hands! LOL I love these cards - thanks for sharing how simple it really is to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome, Michelle! I've done one circle card with my Nesties before, but it wasn't nearly as pretty as this one! I'll have to try them again and see what I come up with! Thanks for the inspiration and the awesome tutorial!
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card! Great tutorial!

    I use painter's tape (yep, that blue stuff) when taping down my dies and I have never had it rip the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful card and fantastic tutorial, Michelle! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh..this is just fabulous...love your tutorial and your gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card ! Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome card! Love the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. fabulous!!! love circle cards-yours are always terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Tutorial Michelle! Thanks for all the little tips too. Tape! duh! Why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super sweet card and love the tutorial as well! :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love your circle cards...you are the queen!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi,
    our german stampin up demo showed a Card like this and gave us the link to yout tutorial.Thanks a lot it's great I'm shure I will manage.
    HAve a nice Weekend
    christiane

    ReplyDelete